Perhaps one of the most common non surgical cosmetic treatments in the world is Botulinum toxin therapy, more commonly known as Botox. In this article, we seek to explore what Botox is, the process of this treatment and the pros and cons of this treatment.
What is Botox?
According to the Journal of Drug Sciences, Botulinum toxin (Botox) is a drug made from a toxin produced by the bacterium Clostridium botulinum. In large amounts, this toxin can cause botulism, an illness that affects the nerves.
Botox has been used since the 1970s in the field of ophthalmology, and in the last 20 years, its use has expanded to various health scopes, especially dermatology. In addition to its cosmetic applications, Botox is currently used in the treatment of spasms and dystonias, by weakening involved muscles, for the 60-70 day effective period of the drug. The main conditions treated with botulinum toxin are: Cervical dystonia (spasmodic torticollis) (a neuromuscular disorder involving the head and neck) Blepharospasm (excessive blinking).
How does the process of treatment work?
The Journal of Drug Sciences states that Botulinum toxin exerts its effects by paralyzing skeletal muscle. The pharmacological site of action is at the neuromuscular synapse. In cosmetic applications, a Botox injection, consisting of a small dose of botulinum toxin, can be used to prevent development of wrinkles by paralyzing facial muscles.
The process of administering this treatment is quite short in itself, usually taking less than an hour for the entire session.
When treating fine lines and wrinkles, the dermatologist injects botulinum toxin into targeted muscles on the face or neck. This temporarily relaxes the targeted muscles, causing fine lines and wrinkles to diminish.
According to EmedicineHealth, for the procedure, the patient is placed in a somewhat raised position on the exam table, and the areas to be injected are cleansed with a nonalcohol cleanser, such as Hibiclens or Betadine. Some physicians will apply a topical anesthetic, such as EMLA cream or some alternative, at this time.
The Botox is then injected into the desired areas. Typical injection patterns include about four or five areas on each side of the forehead and two or three areas on either eye area. More areas can be injected by skilled physicians, depending on the type of wrinkles and the desired effect for the patient. It is common for pressure to be applied if an area seems to be bleeding after the injection. While ice is sometimes applied beforehand for comfort reasons, direct pressure is much more effective than ice for control of bleeding and bruising.
Before and after result
As you can see the visible difference. That’s what Botox injection. It smoothens wrinkled skins and thus popular for cosmetic surgery.
According to the American Academy of Dermatology Association, if any patient develops side effects, these tend to be mild and temporary.
The injections, rather than the botulinum toxin itself, cause most mild side effects. For example, a patient may occasionally bruise. If this happens, the bruising lasts about 1 week.
After receiving injections, people have also experienced:
- Mild headache (uncommon)
- Weakness in a neighboring muscle, leading to a temporarily droopy brow or eyelid (rare)
- Signs and symptoms of botulism, including problems breathing, swallowing, or speaking (very rare)
Pros and Cons of the treatment
- – The greatest advantage of this treatment is its ability to take years off of your appearance by eliminating even minor lines and wrinkles.
- – Another major advantage of this treatment is that it is completely non surgical.
- – The treatment is also temporary, so if you receive the treatment and are not satisfied with the way it turned out, after 4 to 6 months your face will be back to the previous state.
- – It also takes a short amount of time for the procedure as compared to other treatments. According to American Association of Dermatology and EMedicine the entire process takes only around an hour, with the actual process of injecting taking less than 10 minutes.
- – There is no down time, i.e. one can get back to their normal activities (with some precautions) almost immediately after the treatment. Unlike surgeries, this doesn’t take a long rest time.
- – The results are also visible immediately. It takes between 2 hours to 2 days to visibly observe the results.
- – The advantage of this treatment being temporary also works as the biggest disadvantage, since if one is satisfied with the treatment, they will have to undergo regular treatment every 4 to 6 months.
- – Botox treatment is slightly expensive. Since this requires regular treatment, the cost can add up.
- – Since Botox works by temporarily paralyzing some of the facial muscles, it may prevent your face from making certain expressions. Always check how you’ll look after the treatment with your doctor.
Botox is largely considered a safe, non surgical treatment for people seeking to removing the lines and wrinkles from their face. If you seek to get this treatment, you may contact a dermatologist for a consult.
Sponsor of this post is Aavaran Skin and Hair Clinic located at Durbarmarg, Kathmandu, which is known for professional Botox treatment in Nepal through certified doctors. We have collaborated with Aavaran Skin and Hair Clinic in creating informative contents as part of our mission of creating an informed society.
What is Clubhouse and why is it so popular?
All you need to know about Clubhouse, the trending app in town.
By now, you must have heard about Clubhouse. If not, you must have gone for a long meditation in the island of Indonesia.
Just a year or 2 old and already millions have downloaded the app and it’s the most trending app right now in App store and Google Play.
In the era of social media, Clubhouse has come as the perfect platform that everyone was looking for, where they can communicate verbally in a go, like in a real world. Naturally speaking, we humans prefer verbal communication over any other form of communication and that too with an element of interaction. Communication on Facebook and other social media platform is predominantly textual, pictorial or graphical and not a real-time interaction like in real world. Everyone was missing that human thingy in social media and they have now. BOOM!!
WHAT IS CLUBHOUSE?
In short, it is a voice-chatting app. Think this way, you get into an app, and you could see everyone talking as if in a web conference.
Upon opening the app, you will land on something like Newsfeed where you can see different people talking on different topics that the Clubhouse calls “Room” that you can join and listen what people are talking about. You can as well join the conversation if you want to join them as “Speaker”. Likewise, you can create your own room. There are no videos, no pictures, and hardly any text. It’s all just audio. Think about it as joining a live podcast where you can choose to be the speaker if you want to or just listen to what others have to say by taking the audience seat. And unique part is, in Clubhouse, nothing gets saved — you talk, they talk and all the talk vanishes on airs.
Brief history of Clubhouse
Founded by Paul Davison and Rohan Seth in Fall 2019 under the name Talkshow, since the original concept was “designed for podcast,” the app was later rebranded as “Clubhouse.” Thanks to the Covid. It gained huge popularity immediately after Covid outbreak and lockdown thereafter. By now, more than 10 millions have downloaded the apps. The app is currently valued at 4 billion dollars. In April 2021, Twitter had entered discussions to purchase Clubhouse, at a $4 billion valuation. The talks ended with no acquisition.
Why is it so popular?
It’s popular because humans love talking, as simple as that. But, of course, many had tried something similar already but what made Clubhouse this popular is nothing but RIGHT TIMING. And then happened Elon Musk, the Midas guy — whatever he touches turns into a gold. He spoke about Clubhouse once and Clubhouse hit the jackpot.
Nevertheless, there are few other important reasons behind the popularity.
1. Nothing gets recorded: Unlike other LIVE audio/video contents, here one can speak without fearing to be wrong or mistaken that opinions or thoughts expressed won’t make a round on social media. This is making it more preferred platform for many who like to talk without being judged or being pulled into controversy unnecessarily.
2. More Freedom: You can choose to listen or choose to speak or quietly leave the room and you don’t have to feel any sort of awkwardness or nervousness. No one can force you by tagging your name or personally attack you for being different.
3. You feel Equal: Imagine you sharing a stage with someone you admire or adore the most or you sharing the stage with people with shared interests and values. That feels amazing and fulfilling, isn’t it? That’s what Clubhouse makes it possible for you to feel. Unlike typical podcasts, where they invite some well-known faces or experts and you are only to listen or at best be part of Q&A, here you can join the speakers and stand along with.
4. It feels like virtual cafe minus coffee: Yes! that’s exactly how you can feel. What happens in cafe? You hang out with your friends over a coffee and some strangers may join you and you talk and talk and talk, learn something, teach something, have a good time and split. It’s pretty much same but virtually. You create your own room, and start talking to your friends and followers. Then more will join you and they will start talking . Couple hours will go in a blink!
5. Last but not the least, your talks can earn you followers: Just like every other social media tricks, Clubhouse too has reward system for its users. More you stay engaged, stay visible, and prove yourself worthy enough to follow, you get to earn fellow users as followers. More followers, more audience for you to join your talk show whenever you host one. Isn’t that fun?
So yes! Clubhouse is amazing and fun and useful for anyone who likes to learn from others or teach others or just have some good times with friends and strangers. And best part, unlike other social media platform, people are generally soft, sweet and empathetic and tolerant towards others opinions and views regardless of differences.
Hope this article says it all. See you on Clubhouse soon. If you want to follow us there, simply search us @kmagz.com and we are right there waiting for you. If you are struggling with invitation, feel free to message us in our Facebook inbox, and we will help you get in there.
Reverse Psychology is a technique of changing people’s behavior or thought by triggering the human flaws lie in the cognitive ability to think unbias. Humans are capable to think on their own, logically and with reasoning. But they are also equally capable to defend their existing belief and thought through the logic and reasoning. Humans are basically contradicting monkeys. They contradict because their thought process is bias and self serving.So when you have to change their way of thinking or behaving, sometimes best approach is not by telling them what to do. Rather by telling them some thing unacceptable (opposite) that while disagreeing, they themselves will realize what they need to do, without you telling them.Let’s put it in example. There is a village where women are not allowed to work, are not treated equal. The villagers have their own logic and reasoning to self serve their discriminating culture and tradition. Now, if you go there and try to teach them the importance of gender equality, humanity and all that, their mind will be blocked to take any of your message and they will fight back with their own logic and reasoning defending their culture and tradition.So in this case, you need to take a reverse psychological approach. You need to tell them that women are not human, they are not as smart as men, they are not worthy of freedom. Now, when you say this, they will not agree with you either because whatsoever they didn’t mean to treat those women inhuman, so they will again fight back with argument. This time, they will construct their argument with logic and reasoning that aligns with yours.In this shift in thinking pattern, their perspectives will unknowingly shift to the base, that they will be forced to think in a way they had never thought of and eventually will end up speaking the language of gender equality. Humans are beautifully weird, trapped in their own thoughts and logics. You just need to know how to liberate them layer by layer.
What is Plasma donation and what is it for ?
A simple explanation about plasma therapy for commoners
What is plasma
Our blood has plasma and blood cells. Plasma is liquid, blood cells are red blood cells, white blood cells (that produces antibodies) and platelets. Plasma is the liquid that has essential protein. The protein is extracted, collected and adjusted and used to treat people with immune deficiency disorder of same kind.
How does it work?
Antibodies developed against disease if completely recovered can be found in plasma, so it’s donated to any other person with same blood group affected with same disease to strengthen immune system and defeat the disease.
To put it in a perspective, blood donated by people who’ve recovered from COVID-19 has antibodies to the virus that causes it. The donated blood is processed to remove blood cells, leaving behind liquid (plasma) and antibodies. These can be given to people with COVID-19 with same blood group to boost their ability to fight the virus.
NOTE: Donating plasma is a bit more complicated than donating Blood, takes longer, blood is drawn out and cycled back to your body while plasma is extracted from it. Takes about 45 minutes to an hour unlike few minutes in case of blood donation.
In another words
When you are infected with any disease, your body produces antibodies to fight with the disease. So it is known that whenever you recover from a disease completely, your body will have developed some kind of antibodies from the experience that your immune system got attacked last time, so this time we know what it is so, even if it enters the body, we are already equipped to fight it. So in Covid-19 case, the recovered patients might have developed some kind of specific antibodies to stop the attack. So plasma donation is the process where the blood of a person who has already recover from lets say covid-19 is given to the current sick covid-19 patients in the hope that recovered person’s antibodies might help in the recovery of the sick person. Also, vaccines works on the same process. Our vaccines contains some type of similar virus like covid-19 which if injected should be harmless. But in the process, the body recognizes such type of new virus so it alerts the body to produce new antibodies that are capable of fighting them the next time. So when we are infected with covid-19 virus, the antibody kicks in because it’s similar to the last infection therefore stopping it before hand. So after vaccination, we are immune to that disease. Although, it isn’t sure that plasma donation in the case of covid-19 works. But still, it might.
The above answers are gathered from a KMAG Page on same title. We only have compiled them together to form this article.
What do I think of Nepalese Youth in general
LANY – If this is the last time
100 life lessons based on personal experiences
Things to know before buying a Soft Contact Lens
Your definition of freedom
Timle Ta Haina – Bachchu Kailash
- Editorial2 weeks ago
In Ujwal’s Gift to Erica, I found a reminder to myself.
- Editorial4 weeks ago
A Tale of A Third-World Human
- Editorial4 weeks ago
Why “Citizenship by descent” is too confusing for Nepalese people in general
- Opinion2 weeks ago
Sand economy: Understand now or regret later
- Knowledge & Infos4 weeks ago
- Knowledge & Infos3 weeks ago
What is Clubhouse and why is it so popular?
- Speak-Up2 weeks ago
100 life lessons based on personal experiences
- Entertainment6 days ago
LANY – If this is the last time